Unity Hospice recognizes that making final arrangements can be a difficult task requiring dozens of decisions. Our staff is available to help you every step of the way in making these final decisions, including but not limited to, organizing legal affairs, social security benefits and funeral arrangements. These are your decisions to make, regardless of what you choose for your care, and the decisions are based on your personal values, preferences and discussions with your loved ones.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions. We pride ourselves on providing comprehensive care and support to every individual and family.
Why plan for care in advance?
- Your wishes will be known, even if you are unable to verbally express them
- To make preparations on your care early, as this can happen to anyone – at any age
- To give your loved ones the gift of peace of mind
Types of Advance Directives
- Living Will: legal documentation of your wishes about medical treatments
- Medical Power of Attorney: documentation that specifies who you wish to make decisions about your medical care.
- Financial Power of Attorney: documentation that specifies who you wish to make financial decisions about your health care. This individual can be the same one who handles your medical decisions.
- POLST Paradigm. The POLST Paradigm (Physician Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment) is an approach to end-of-life planning designed to ensure that seriously ill or frail patients can choose the treatments they want or do not want and that their wishes are documented and honored.
POLST forms vary by state. To download and fill out the correct form in your state, visit http://www.polst.org/programs-in-your-state/.
Please note that the POLST form complements the Advance Directive and is not intended to replace it. Advance directives are necessary to appoint a legal healthcare representative and provide instructions on future treatments.
All information provided on this page is for informational use only. Unity Hospice is not responsible for damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on any information that is available on this page.