What is Hospice?
Patients able to live on their terms
Hospice care is an alternative approach to living at the end of life. In order to be eligible for hospice, a patient must have a life-limiting illness and been given six months or less to live should the illness run its normal course. Contrary to what many people believe, hospice is not a place.
Studies have shown that hospice patients on average live 29 days longer* than those who choose ongoing medical care for their life-limiting illness.
We believe each day, each hour, each moment is important. Unity Hospice promises to deliver the highest quality of care for the patient and their loved ones, and continue grief care for those closest to the patient for 12 months after their loved one’s passing.
The top reasons to choose hospice over hospitalization include:
- Hospice care helps a patient live as comfortable as possible during their remaining time by concentrating on managing a patient’s pain and other symptoms.
- Family members and loved ones have the ability to actively participate in the care of the patient.
- Patients are able to maintain a quality of life and die where they call home.
- Patients are able to live the end of life on their terms.
- Your Unity Hospice care team are hospice experts. In addition to medical support, spiritual, emotional and psychological support is provided not only for the patient but for their loved ones as well.
- Hospice care is provided wherever the patient calls home—be it their home or that of a friend or relative, a long-term care facility or a nursing home.
Unity Hospice has been providing exceptional hospice and palliative care since 1992.
*Journal of Pain and Symptom Management
I also want to know...
Testimonial from loved ones
“I am so grateful to Unity for taking such care of both myself and my husband. You are right, all of you felt like family.”