What is Hospice?
Hospice is end-of-life care that focuses on quality of life, for patients and their loved ones.
End-of-life should be comfortable and meaningful
Hospice doesn’t mean death is at your doorstep. Even with a serious condition, life can still go on. Hospice is about making the remaining time, and ultimately the transition, as comfortable, peaceful and supported as it can be. Care is delivered wherever you are, almost always at no cost to you. Unity works with you to create a personalized and customized care plan.
- Unity’s Medical Director oversees all aspects of care and guides the team.
- Registered Nurses directly manage the care of the patient, and deliver comfort through expert pain and symptom management.
- Certified Nursing Assistants help with personal needs such as bathing, feeding and more.
- Specialized Medications for pain or symptoms related to the hospice diagnosis, as well as high quality Medical Supplies, are delivered directly to you.
- Durable Medical Equipment (DME) such as hospital beds, oxygen, etc. is delivered directly to you and set up by our equipment specialists, who will explain everything you need to know.
- In addition to scheduled care, our staff is available and on-call anytime, day or night.
Emotional and Social Care
- Social Workers provide emotional support and a listening ear, guiding the patient and family through all steps of the transition journey.
- Chaplains offer spiritual support and counseling.
- Spiritual care is available by clergy of all faiths.
- Volunteers provide company, conversation, a pair of helping hands, and more.
Ongoing Family Support
- Throughout the journey, Unity staff work hand-in-hand with family members.
- Nurses provide education and guidance about ongoing caregiving, disease progression and the transition process.
- Social workers arrange community services and other resources, help with end-of-life arrangements, and provide emotional support.
- Respite care gives loved ones of home-based patients relief from caregiving, while the patient enjoys a brief stay at a partner care facility.
- After the patient’s passing, our bereavement team provides 12 months of grief support and counseling, and offers support groups and memorial services.
Life Enrichment Programs
- Live Music & Song brings comfort and joy to the patient and family.
- Music & Memory provides the patient’s favorite music to help re-awaken memories and connect with loved ones.
- Paws for Patients offers visits by trained hospice-certified dogs which bring smiles to everyone.
- Hospice for Heroes is a presentation and flag ceremony for our veterans, thanking them for their service.
- Massage Therapy helps relieve patients’ discomfort.
- Just Ask, and we’ll do all we can to plan a memorable event, or customize an activity the patient would enjoy.
- Life Enrichment Programs are based on availability.